Serving the Greater Toronto Area | Call Today at 647-786-7634

Hazardous Materials

Weather in a workplace or a home, Hazardous Materials can pose a serious threat to all in the area. While some effects may be noticed quickly, some substances, such as asbestos, may cause serious complications and even death years down the road.

Removing these materials is a serious and sometimes life-saving task, and should not be attempted without proper professional training. Below you can become familiar with the common hazardous materials we remove throughout the greater Toronto area, and why they pose a serious threat to a building’s occupants.



Why is it dangerous?
Asbestos Removal in TorontoAsbestos is a set of six naturally occurring silicate minerals that became increasingly popular among manufacturers and builders in the late 19th century because of its sound absorption, strength, price, and its resistance to fire, heat, electrical and chemical damage. It was often used in electrical and building insulation.  Unfortunately, it was later found the prolonged inhalation of asbestos fibers can cause serious illnesses including malignant lung cancer, mesothelioma, and asbestosis – leading to the ban of asbestos in many countries.

Asbestos Removal is broken down into 3 categories or Operation Types – all of which SPS Constructing and Enviromental have been trained and certified to handle.

  • Asbestos Type 1 Operations
    A Type 1 operation is one that does not generate appreciable levels of airborne asbestos and generally presents little hazard to workers or bystanders.
  • Asbestos Type 2 Operations
    Type 2 operations are small scale activities which may generate enough airborne asbestos to require protective equipment, but are short lived. Short lived activities are less than one shift for any single project.
  • Asbestos Type 3 Operations
    Type 3 asbestos operations are generally large scale activities which may generate significant airborne asbestos levels, may occur frequently, are of longer duration, and may pose a serious risk both to workers and to bystanders.


Why is it dangerous?
Mold Removal in TorontoWhen mold begins to grow in a workplace, home, or other populated area, it can begin to cause a wide array of problems including allergic reactions, asthma episodes, irritations of the eye, nose and throat, lung and skin infections, sinus congestion, and other respiratory problems such as respiratory infections and bronchitis. Some mold spores may begin to grow on living tissue, attaching to cells along the respiratory tract causing further problems. Mold spores, whether dead or alive, can pose a serious threat.

Molds also excrete toxic compounds called mycotoxins under certain environmental conditions. Certain mycotoxins can be harmful and even lethal to humans and animals when exposure is high enough. Extreme exposure to very high levels of mycotoxins can lead to neurological problems and in some cases death; fortunately, such exposures rarely to never occur in normal exposure scenarios, even in residences with serious mold problems. Nevertheless, prolonged exposure, e.g. daily workplace exposure, can be particularly harmful.


Why is it dangerous?
Lead Paint and Lead Removal in TorontoLead is a highly poisonous metal, regardless if inhaled or swallowed, and it affects almost every organ and system in the body. Lead paint is the major source of lead exposure for children. As lead paint deteriorates, it peels, is pulverized into dust and then enters the body through skin contact, hand-to-mouth contact or through contaminated food, water or alcohol.

The main target for lead toxicity is the nervous system, both in adults and children. Lead has been shown many times to permanently reduce the cognitive capacity of children at extremely low levels of exposure. What’s more, it is rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream, and long-term exposure to lead may cause nephropathy, abdominal pains, weakness, small increases in blood pressure, anemia, miscarriage, learning disabilities, blood and brain disorders, brain damage, kidney damage, and ultimately death.